Saturday, September 13, 2008

Vagabonding

Dave loaned me “Off The Road” by Jack Hitt and gave me “Vagabonding” by Rolf Potts for my birthday. I highly recommend both, for different reasons. “Vagabonding” will help you understand your desire to travel and help you get started. “Off the Road” will explain the Camino in an interesting and entertaining way. Both are very readable…use them as a resource to act, not an excuse to delay.

Why not combine both subjects and start my journey in New Orleans? Isn’t a pilgrimage also vagabonding? Can I leave a New World coastal city to travel to an ancient city on the Old World coast? Can I make the entire trip a pilgrimage? Can I make it inspirational to me?

Maybe I can find a commercial ship leaving New Orleans heading across the Atlantic. Then find a ride to Paris, before taking a train to St Jean Pied de Port and walking to Santiago de Compostela. Challenging…do I have what it takes?

No comments: