Friday, September 12, 2008

Initial Motivation

Dave sent me several links to start my education of the Camino. Google is a wonderful tool, too. I quickly learned enough to pique my interest. Check out the Internet for pictures, histories, and comments. It’s an eye-opener.

First, millions of people have made the walk over the last several centuries. There must be more to this then just a 475-mile walk. I have some questions in my life that might be answered on such a journey. I’m not sure of my expectations, but I do have an open heart and mind.

Second, I enjoyed my previous trip to Europe and this will be a unique way to see and learn more about France and Spain. I feel a connection to the Crusades and the Knights Templar, and I’d like to learn more about their involvement in this area.

I certainly want to test my ability to train and get in shape like I did when I was younger. A hike of 475 miles in 30-45 days means I need to prepare for 30,000 steps per day…every day!

Another motivator is setting and achieving a major goal. There is something incredibly satisfying and liberating having an objective so big that daily decisions are already made for me. It’s easy to feel in control of your life while stretching and reaching for a goal. And the bigger the better.

Finally, I’m getting tired of the view circling the same daily rut I’ve been creating for too long. As they say, “If you’re not the lead dog, the view never changes.” Plus, we’ll be going through Pamplona when the bulls run… That’ll count for at least two adventures!

No comments: