Thursday, September 25, 2008

Getting in Shape?

Dang. Reading David's post was quite a wake-up call. Not because of how he's training for the walk, but by being reminded how good of shape he, and I, used to be in. We've known each other for a long time, so watching the increase in girth has been gradual and fairly inperceivable. The minimal daily changes sure can add up over time. To the point where I can confidently bet a beer that you can't pick me out of my high school yearbook. Double or nothing with my college photos.

Currently I'm 280 pounds, which is 80 pounds more than in college. Did you know that most folding lawn chairs are rated for only 225 pounds? Trampolines? No way. There are cars built today that David and I can't ride in at the same time. And if a shirt is a size large, than how big do you have to be to wear an "extra" large? I wear an XXL...

But I'm inspired by this challenge. I know the physical training will be harder than when I was younger. I trained for and climbed Mt. Whitney in a day in my 30's (tallest US mountain in the lower 48). I ran my first marathon at 40. But I sure haven't taken care of myself in the last ten years. Since moving to New Orleans seven years ago, I've gained and maintained forty new pounds. They've got to go. I've fallen in love with food with names I can't spell. I've forgotten what it's like to walk up a hill. My bike is covered with dust and sits on two flat tires. I drive to the market four blocks away to buy Blue Bell ice cream and Hubig Pies. But I know I can do it. It just might take a little more dedication than before. And maybe I can get David to carry some of my stuff...

No comments: